Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Home » Entries posted by PATIMES (Page 12)
Stories written by PATIMES
The American Society for Public Administration is the largest and most prominent professional association for public administration. It is dedicated to advancing the art, science, teaching and practice of public and non-profit administration.

Leadership — What Is It and How Do we Improve It?

Leadership — What Is It and How Do we Improve It?

As I’ve written in previous columns, research conducted by my organization, the Institute for Public Sector Employee Engagement, has revealed leadership and managing change is the number one driver of…

Measuring Performance Quantitatively

Measuring Performance Quantitatively

The Nevada legislature recently debated teacher evaluation. Currently 80 percent of a teacher’s rating is based on observation; the remaining 20 percent is split between state testing data and locally-set…

Performance Management in These Divided Times: The Responsibilities of Public Administrators

Performance Management in These Divided Times: The Responsibilities of Public Administrators

Most pundits would say we are living in a time when the nation is as politically divided as it could be. Our political parties also have divided factions. It appears…

Public Education and Demographic Shifts: Beneficial or Detrimental?

Public Education and Demographic Shifts: Beneficial or Detrimental?

Education has been a part of the United States history since its inception. Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and Benjamin Rush were all in favor of public education. They felt poor…

Do Human Capital Comparisons of Private and Public Sector Compensation Levels Have Value?

Do Human Capital Comparisons of Private and Public Sector Compensation Levels Have Value?

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) recently released a study comparing federal and private sector compensation. It is one if many research studies extending back to the early 1970s based on…

Borrowed Theories for a Stronger PA

Borrowed Theories for a Stronger PA

The study of public administration (PA) is, traditionally, a collection of various academic disciplines including economics, political science and business management. In fact, many of the foundational theories in public…

The Paradox of Police Practice and Budget Allocations

The Paradox of Police Practice and Budget Allocations

Recent history has been marked by renewed turmoil between some police practitioners and members of their communities. While the majority of communities and police professionals are not conflicted and maintain…

Moral Courage: The Power of “No”

Moral Courage: The Power of “No”

On September 11, 1972, three months after the Watergate break-in, White House counsel John Dean handed Johnnie Mac Walters, Commissioner of the IRS, an envelope. Inside were the names of…

It’s Our Fault

It’s Our Fault

Congress is dysfunctional and it's our fault. "We the People"-voters keep re-electing the same people to Congress and Senate expecting a different outcome. Debate has been displaced by partisan disagreement.…

No Dark Sarcasm in the Classroom

No Dark Sarcasm in the Classroom

It’s commencement season. Time is moving on, and across America, students are moving up and on. Whether it’s high school, junior high or kindergarten, ceremonies represent this change. What lessons…

Aligning Programs to Better Prepare for Public Health Emergencies

Aligning Programs to Better Prepare for Public Health Emergencies

The 2016 Zika public health emergency illuminated the need for local health departments (LHD’s) to establish effective infrastructure to respond to new infectious diseases. There are several national programs designed…